Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Made my own magnets

Necessity is the mother of invention...

So, I am moving my office again. I have moved it several times over the last few years into makeshift offices around the house. From an upstairs room to the dining room for a while to the living room to the kitchen and I am finally getting myself staged again back at square one in the upstairs room a.k.a. "the purple room" because of the color of the walls.

I like need my office to be organized so I can find things easily when I need them, so that things I use frequently are within arms reach, and it must have an overall appealing feel/mood where I can stand to be there for more than 10 minutes at a time because there is not a lot of clutter! Order is part of what keeps me happy :-).

I moved a marker/magnet board onto a wall that a friend was discarding (we each bought one at the same time from Ikea). I could not, for the life of me, find magnets that I liked. Must be apealling remember? I have to look at them everyday afterall!

So, I start getting the idea that I will have to make my own! Now to find the perfect thing! Not too fussy, yet whimsical and cute, and easy on the eyes. Maybe something inspiring.

I knew I could start with those regular old round magnets you can get at the store shaped like discs and affix something to them. I've been using those in my basement workroom for a couple of years (boring). It just so happens, while I was at JoAnn Etc., I saw these wooden buttons near the scrapbook section and everything clicked. Here is what I did:

  1. Bought the buttons and the magnets.

2. Put a bead of hot glue on the magnet and be sure the rough side of the wood is affixed to the glue.


3. Keep gluing until you get them all done and remove any stringy glue hanging off of them.

4. Use an archival/scrapbooking fine marker to mark inspirational words or sayings that make you smile. (*Note: don't use an extra-fine tip sharpie! As you can see on the bottom of my "simplify" one - it bleeds!) Here are my finished magnets! They make me feel good because they are hand-made, one-of-a-kind and the words have meaning to me because I chose what they say!

Hope your inspired! Send me pics of your magnets!

No comments:

Post a Comment